Training for cross-country skiing is the ultimate workout regime: running, hiking, biking, rollerskiing, lifting weights, rock climbing and dance. Consider it the original 'crossfit'. The best skiers in the world train over 320 days per year, oftentimes logging 3-5 hours of training in a single day (not to mention, doing 2 workouts per day during the summer!).
The fitness you gain from this sport, is fitness for life. An active lifestyle is widely considered to ward off chronic illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, depression, and obesity. Consider this your alternative health-care!
Cross country skiing is also a fantastic way to enjoy the Vermont outdoors, even in the winter. Kids can burn off extra energy, while adults can release stress. If you are used to outdoor activities in the summertime (such as biking, hiking, or running), but you dread the winter months and indoor exercise (such as running treadmills and riding rollers), consider skiing as your perfect 'cross training' for your summer events!
Vermont is steeped in a rich heritage of winter sports -- including Nordic skiing. Past and present, there are many Winter Olympians who call Vermont their home. Here is a partial list of Winter Olympians in the sports of Cross Country Skiing and Biathlon:
- Andrew Newell - 2010, 2006 Nordic (Shaftsbury, VT)
- Liz Stephen - 2010 Nordic (Montpelier, VT)
- Caitlin Compton-Gregg - 2010 Nordic (Waitsfield, VT)
- Garrott Kuzzy - 2010 Nordic (Middlebury College Graduate)
- Laura Spector - 2010 Biathlete (GMVS Graduate)
- Simi Hamilton - 2010 Nordic (Middlebury College Graduate)
- Lowell Bailey - 2010, 2006 Biathlete (UVM Graduate)
- Andrew Johnson - 2002 Nordic (Greensboro, VT)
- Tessa Benoit - 2002 Nordic (South Pomfret, VT)
- Kristina Joder-Casey - 2002 Nordic (Springfield, VT)
- Lawton Redman - 2002 Biathlon (Middlebury, VT)
- Joe Holland - 1992, 1998 Nordic Combined (Norwich, VT)
- Kerrin Petty - 1988, 1984 Nordic (Townshend, VT)
- Tim Caldwell - 1984, 1980, 1976, 1972 Nordic (Brattleboro, VT)
- Bill Koch - 1984, 1980, 1976 Nordic (Brattleboro, VT)
- Jim Galanes - 1984, 1980 Nordic (Brattleboro, VT)
- Stan Dunklee - 1980, 1976 Nordic (Brattleboro, VT)
- Bob Gray - 1972, 1968 Nordic (Brattleboro, VT)
- Bruce Likly - 1984 Nordic (UVM Graduate)
- John Morton -1976 Biathlon (Middlebury College Graduate)
- Trina Hosmer - 1972 Nordic (UVM Graduate)
- Marc Gilbertson - 1998 Nordic
- Patty Ross - 1984 Nordic
- Mike Gallagher - 1972, 1968, 1964 Nordic
- John Caldwell - 1952 Olympics
What is Nordic Skiing?
What is Biathlon?
The sport of Biathlon combines cross-country skiing and rifle marksmanship. Here in the Burlington-area, we are lucky to have the Ethan Allen Biathlon Club offering instructional and competitive programs for all ages and abilities. Ethan Allen Biathlon Club.